Penta was founded in 2015 to bring high quality, low cost prosthetic care to people with disabilities in Vietnam by repurposing used equipments in the United States.
According to the World Health Organization, there are more than 4 million people with disabilities in Vietnam due to traffic accidents and the legacies of war. More than 95 percent of these people lack prosthetic care due to the restrictive medical costs.
Every year, thousands of used prosthetic equipments are replaced in the U.S. and cannot be resold in the country due to liability and regulatory issues.
At Penta, we believe that these two problems can turn into one innovative and life-changing solution.
How we work
Penta’s mission is impact-driven and our team closely monitors the real impact of our work. Here are a few metrics we’ve collected:
Trang is a senior at Brown studying Applied Math and Development Studies. She is from Ho Chi Minh city, Vietnam. As the co-founder, she is responsible for providing strategic leadership for the organization. In addition, she leads the on the ground operations and our South East Asia clinics and hospitals partnerships.
Henry is a senior History major at Yale with experience working with amputee groups, particularly with U.S. Explore Ordnance Disposal veterans. He has conducted research on Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder and interned at Shoulder2Shoulder, a venture that provides communication between active duty members and their wounded comrades.
Victor is a senior Classics and History major at Yale University. As the Co-founder of Penta, Victor leads Penta’s collection operation and logistics in the U.S. He has also been very involved with journalism and is charge of outreach for prosthetic collection.
Shogun is from Bangkok, Thailand. At Yale, he is in Jonathan Edwards College and majors in Electrical Engineering and Computer Science. Shogun leads Penta's operations and volunteer trips in Thailand.
Duc is from Ho Chi Minh city, Vietnam and is passionate about providing accessible healthcare to developing countries. Duc is in charge of Penta's strategic partnerships in Vietnam.
- Clinton Global Initiative and Clinton Global Foundation one-year grant (selected out of 600 applicants worldwide)
- Venture Launch Award
- Social Innovation Fellowship from Brown Swearer Center for Public Service
- Yale Entrepreneurial Institute Fellowship
- Yale College Dean's Challenge on Social Innovation
- Jack Ringer Fellowship from Watson Institute for International and Public Affairs
- First place for ChangeFest Social Impact Hackathon
- Social Innovation lab at Yale Dwight Hall for Public Service
- OZY x JP Morgan Genius Award
- Second Place for Brown Student Agency Social Impact Competition
- Brown UCS New Initiative Fund Recipient (two time winner)
- McKinsey Women's Impact Award
- Kairos Society Ventures
- Brown Venture Prize